Sunday, September 19, 2010

BP8_Vimeo

Last week I wrote about the photo sharing application, flickr. This week I chose to highlight what I would consider to be the video counterpart to flickr, Vimeo. Vimeo is a video sharing application much like youTube. I chose Vimeo over youTube some time ago because of quality issues I had with youTube’s compression schemes. I have found Vimeo to have superior encoding codecs and this translates into higher quality. While I feel youTube to be useful for hosting large quantities of videos, I consider Vimeo to be a more appropriate platform for presenting portfolio quality video. I have found Vimeo to be a great source to find communities of practice. A group dedicated to AVCHD video has been especially helpful. I hope to find more quality tips and advice concerning machinima and media production in virtual environments.

One disadvantagethat I find with Vimeo is the fact that if one were to desire to upload more than a few videos in HD per month, the purchase of a premium membership will probably be necessary due to upload limits on the basic free account. But for anyone wanting to present video creations in an envorinment without the clutter of youTube, I would recommend this application.

No comments:

Post a Comment