Monday, September 20, 2010

BP12_practical experience

For my week 3 practical experience portion of this class I decided to focus on Garage Band for several reasons. Earlier in this program I wrote that one of my goals was to learn more about audio production. I’m primarily a visual media producer and I have a strong desire to become more knowledgeable in the terminology in order to appear to know what I’m talking about when addressing an audiophile. Garage Band seemed a good place to start and I thought I’d get a jump on month seven. I also would like a source of copyright free music that I can customize to my liking.

I must confess that I have no experience with this application outside of the podcasts we produced during MLR. When using Garage Band in that class I admit that I was somewhat intimidated by the interface and I really didn’t know where to start. The Lynda tutorials have been great. They pointed me immediately in the direction of Magic Garage Band, which is a great place to begin. The interface is very intuitive and easy to understand once you get to know it. At first I questioned whether or not this would produce results that were unique, but I soon learned that by subtracting and changing instruments I could produce some very unique sounds indeed! Starting with the basic rock preset I managed to produce an eastern sounding ditty reminiscent of George Harrison. Very cool! Next I want to open it in the main interface, tweak it and export it. I’ll keep you up to date . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment